Monday, August 17, 2009

Fun while it lasted

Such a beautiful weekend, and I am just not feeling enthused to leave it behind. I'm totally stalling on making lunches/getting showered and dressed even though procrastinating never makes Monday any easier.

Friday night I was able to go out for dinner and drinks with my friend Kim, which was great. It had been a while; we try to get together every month if we can but it's been a busy summer. No space on the decks by 5:00 (!) but we at least managed to listen to a marginal cover band while sitting outside. It was fun.

Saturday was the annual Family Fun Day at Garrison City....when it started at 9 the weather was already way too warm, but by the time everyone took off two hours later it was just ridiculously hot. It was a good morning- they had the petting zoo people and the wildlife encounter people, plus food and iced coffee...

We had stuff to do around the house but I ended up modifying some of my plans so I wasn't inside all day cursing and sweating. I did run some errands and get groceries. I hate going back to work after a weekend without having done the food shopping- it feels like showing up for classes not having read the book you're discussing, or being on a conference call where you're not really paying attention and then being asked for your opinion. NOT that either of these things have happened to me.

After some time in the kiddie pool, we headed over to the McGough's for dinner and to cool off in the A/C. It was nice to get a chance to catch up with April and the kids.

Yesterday Pete took off wheeling while Lou and I headed off to Wallis Sands for the day. I packed a lunch and drinks and snacks...and I still have no idea how I managed to drag all that stuff into our spot. We got there early- around 9- and I figured we might beat most of the crowds there, but the tide was going out and the beach was already filling up. I have never seen it that crowded...amazing. I've also never seen that many people in the water in New Hampshire...

This is early on, maybe around 10.
And later, closer to lunchtime.

We ran into a couple of my friends, which was fun....and we spent most of the day in the water. And applying sunscreen. And looking for shells/pretty stones/crabs/snails/seaweed....we were both exhausted last night!

We got home late afternoon to find some friends hanging out in the yard, and Pete had run the smoker, so we had pulled pork and some veggie salads I threw together (cucumber and red onion with a mustardy-vinegar dressing, and a carrot slaw with blueberries and toasted sunflower seeds....both courtesy of the Bittman). So good.

I am beat. Could use a lazy day in air-conditioning today....but instead I will take the worky day in air-conditioning, I guess. I have lunch plans with Mo today, so that's something to look forward to!

No comments: