Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Variations on a theme

Lately it's been all I can do to take a picture each morning (probably the bad influence of the hamster wheel), so I thought I might look at ways to spark some interest, maybe find some inspiration. I did a week of self-portraits, which was interesting largely because I look mostly the same every day- sleepy. And sometimes, somewhat surly. I never claimed to be a morning person.

So this week I moved on. I guess you can call it "Stuff I've worked on/am working on that I like and am pleased about." A brief and succinct title, I know. The goal is quite honestly to find at least seven things that I created or grew that have nothing to do with work. Balance.

Bad and useless day today. People are so married to convention, resistant to any kind of innovation or improvement. If today were Evaluation Day, I give the company and most of my colleagues a Needs Improvement. But as I told my friend Jeff, one good thing happened. I met with a student and helped him with an application for additional funds to buy a laptop and pay some bills. As he left my office he said, "Thank you so much for meeting with me. You're the only one around here who gets stuff done, and that's why I always come to you." I almost cried. I felt like Willy Wonka when Charlie gives back the gobstopper: So shines a good deed in a weary world.
And that is why I do what I do. I know things that not everyone knows, things that can help a kid from Lawrence who works at Wal-Mart and lives with his sister get an education, achieve his goals and ultimately be who he wants to be. That is the balance to the marathon meetings, and the corporate BS, and the unrealistic goals. What's a shame is that those of us who actually care don't hear it often enough.

Tomorrow will be a better day. I will be home with Lou at 5:30, and I have an appointment for a pedi (!) later on....and it's Wednesday! Only one meeting (1 1/2 hours), and I get a quiet morning in my office with music. Good deal.

No comments: