Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Had a thought and lost it

"Some people have great ideas maybe once or twice in their life, and then they discover electricity or fire or outer space or something.
I mean, the kind of brilliant ideas that change the whole world.

Some people never have them at all.

I get them two or three times a week."

-Neil Gaiman, The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish

This line came to me one morning recently, and by the time I remembered it fully, I had lost the thought that followed, the place I was going. I think I am feeling of a loss of inspiration, creative energy in a dormant state. Most of my projects of late lie as fallow as my garden this year, and I think it's that flash of brilliance, that spark, that's been absent.

I chalk it up to fatigue. New and improved flavors of insomnia have appeared, keeping me up at night watching bad TV and badly edited movies and surfing the web...polluting my sleep with weird conglomerate dreams, where work and high school and grocery shopping and anything and everything else appear sequentially, like shuffling a deck of cards. Tarot for the hyperactive subconscious.

And now, to sleep....

No comments: