Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Positive energy reaps more positive energy?

I just got in from work. Now, it's not as bad as it sounds...one of the regional managers offered to take the entire Portsmouth start team out to dinner to celebrate having made our July goal. Despite the fact that I don't care much for this woman, I decided that I needed to accept her generosity graciously, without speculating about her motivations.

I am glad I did. There was shop talk, but there was also sharing stories about real life, teasing one another about our little quirks, dissecting everyone's star signs and how closely we each adhere to those characteristics, and enjoying a really nice meal. [We went to Jumpin' Jay's...I had the seared tuna with sesame glaze and wasabi aioli. Their calamari and mussels are fabulous too.] I remembered again what I liked about working with some of these people, and that makes me smile. I laughed, and I made people laugh. A few of us even went for a beer afterward.

Now here's the funny, or maybe the beautiful, thing: this morning I had been thinking about how little I wanted to go. It meant a long day, working until later than I normally do on Wednesdays; it meant socializing with a few people who have driven me batshit crazy for weeks now. It meant being away from home and family, and wearing something other than flip flops and soccer shorts after 6 pm. But it felt like the right thing to do, to show acceptance when someone offers their thanks, to be gracious and grateful and to make an effort when you don't feel like it. You might laugh, but facing the usual meetings and calls, the long day, and the dinner....I actually sat and asked for serenity before leaving the house. And not "Serenity Now!" but the Serenity Prayer.

Do you know that it worked? Absolutely amazing.

No comments: