Thursday, July 08, 2010

I do enjoy deviance

I recently finished my second of Atul Gawande's books, and besides cementing my opinion that the man is a gifted writer, it's left me with the thought that his ideas for improving performance in the medical profession can (as he hopes) translate beyond it. His Suggestions for Becoming a Positive Deviant:
  • Ask an unscripted question.
  • Don't complain.
  • Count something.
  • Write something.
  • Change.
The idea that we can step outside the routine, the comfort zone...put ourselves out there and make an effort to connect, to divert focus away from the minor dysfunctions of the everyday. That we should be observers of what's around us, and take time to reflect on what we see. That we can effect change in ourselves....and maybe then change our little spheres for the better.

I like this, and I need to think about it more.

No comments: