Monday, October 08, 2007

Fryeburg

Friday night we headed out with Eric, Sarah and the girls to spend the weekend in Fryeburg, ME. Eric's aunt's house is cozy and quiet and on a beautiful piece of land...the trip up was not as long as I imagined (of course, with my sense of distance, time and direction, you can't really trust me) and we got to stop at the Yankee Smokehouse.

There are signs advertising for said Yankee Smokehouse all along Route 16 as you head up into the White Mountains, all featuring a giant cartoon pig:

Pete and I used to see the signs on our annual Columbus Day camping trip to the Gitchee Gumee Campground with the BBM (Back Bay Manor) crew. It has always had the same effect on me as the signs for Yoken's...uncontrollable laughter.

Anyway, the Yankee Smokehouse: good stuff. Pete wasn't a fan of the barbeque sauce but we agree the food was tasty. Charlotte could not get over all of the pigs decorating the restaurant- "Mama! A pig! Mama! Another pig!"

Saturday we went to the Fryeburg Fair, which was definitely beats the Rochester (no stretch there) and Hopkinton fairs. Lots and lots of livestock and other things to look at...we had to go into the Fiber Barn and pet the alpaca fiber, not that I spin, but it sure was soft.

Animals wear little coats to keep them clean until they are shown:


And they hang out in their pens before and after the show, enduring pokes and prodding from small people and their parents:





Taking a break from all the walking



Antique tool demonstration




4 comments:

Barngirl said...

So I was reading your post and started to check out the pictures....I gazed past the Yankee BBQ pic...chuckle chuckle..reading some more. And I then I thought, I just saw that pigs tail wiggle. NOOOO0-that is my tired eyes playing tricks on me, but wait! I saw it again! It did wiggle! HYSTERICAL!

sounds like a great weekend.

Lori said...

I know! I didn't even notice until after I had posted....the pig also smiles and closes his eyes. Happy piggy.

Sri said...

Looks like you guys had yourselves a wonderful time.
It's nice to see pictures of Pete and Charlotte together... :))

Barngirl said...

Happy Piggy...I am gonna eat you...