Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Halloween Costume

Not a fairy princess, but a dinosaur/dragon (depending upon when you ask her). She's even been practicing her roaring.

Components:
sweatshirt and pants
fleece to match
polyfill stuffing
polyester felt
tacky glue
thread
one mother willing to work the Halloween Sweatshop

I cut out 60 3-inch triangles. It could have been worse; I used a rotary cutter and a self-healing mat (which I have wanted for a long time!).

Gluing triangles together to make 30 double-thickness triangles that would stand up straight:

Then I made a tail:


I tried using the sewing machine to make a strip of felt triangles that I could then sew to the body and tail. After three attempts and a broken sewing machine needle, I gave up. I hand-sewed all those little buggers on.
This took a long time.

Then I stuffed the tail and attached to the body.

The finished product.....I love the way the spines resemble a mohawk.


Lots of work. But look at this face. Won't she make the best dinosaur/dragon ever?

Trick or treating tonight....more pics tomorrow!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori, you are craftiest.

Lori said...

I am crafty. Not as in "She's Crafty," but I do like to make stuff. :)

Sri said...

Oh boy! That's going to be one scary dinosaur/dragon...and darn cute!!
I'm so impressed, Lori.

the roe family said...

lori - i am envious. wish i had the ambition to make our kiddos costumes. love the pic of charlotte walking across the lawn...
DARLING!

Lori said...

Thank you! I really like making costumes...too bad there's only one holiday where costume-wearing is the thing!

Krissy said...

You are a goddess. A total goddess. That is an incredibly awesome Dinosaur costume.

Dude, next year when my kid announces on the 30th that he's going to be a chocolate chip cookie, I may just go for broke and try to whip one up.

I'm in awe.

That thing is awesome, and the picture in the next post is priceless.